Wednesday, June 26, 2013

BEING HAPPY IS A CHOICE!

When I was a very y oung child, I stayed with my Grandma for a few days.  I didn't know of onyone to play with  and got a bit complaining about being bored.  Grandma didn't chide me but did point out that there were many things to do if  I would look for them. 

She suggested that I look out the window and see something to interest me.  I looked.  Nothing was there but trees and sidewalk and a pole fence.  The fence was made out of pipe and was about three feet tall.  I didn't want to admit it but it did look like I could find some fun there.  After pouting for a little while, grandma tald me that if I unhappy, it was because I had chosen to be.  Well, that made me mad!  I didn't choose anything.  I was there because Mother said I was going to stay there for a few days. 

Grandma began telling me what makes for unhappiness.  She mentioned having a word fight with a sibling, taking something that was not mine or dling NOTHING, which was the biggest reason for unhappiness.  She asked me if I had taken something that was not mine.  NO!  I answered in a "not so nice" voice.  Did I talk mean to someone?  NO!  Again, not so kind.  "Well, then, Evaune dear, I guess you have made a choice to be miserable."  I do not recall the rest of the afternoon, but I do remember years later when I was with her.  She had been in bed for the night and she came into the living room where I had been sleeping.  She stood there, unable to sit down because she was crippled, and told me this.  "Evaune dear, every morning when I wake up, I ask myself, will I be happy or unhappy?  I try to remember what I have to be unhappy about.  I can't remember wthout going back and thinking abour a sad event.  Or I have to try and remember when someone was mean to me, or when I was sick.  I just have to work so hard to remember the bad things that I give up and decide to BE HAPPY!  I just can't be bothered remembering all the ugly part, it takes too much energy.  So I take the high road and remember how happy life is.  IT is happy, Evaune dear, or you wouldn't belong to such a happy family and go to such a good school, etc."

I can see her still, in her flannel nightgown, her night cap still on her head.  She never looked disgusted or angry, just very sure of her truth.   I remember that very often   And make it my business to see the good in the world.  It does take a lot of energy to recall every hurt and sad event.  I think we were made to be happy.   It is pretty easy if you can remember the blessings given with an open  mind.  I love that mentality.  BE HAPPY, IT IS A CHOICE!

1 comment:

  1. Aunt Evaune, Thank you for sharing your stories and life experiences on your blog. I love reading about my heritage and my grandmothers. I look forward to the day that I can meet my grandpa Bruce Gale. And anything I can learn from your family to know more about my heritage makes me happy! Thanks for sharing. I love you. Deb Lowe (Sheri Smith's daughter)

    ReplyDelete